Department: Front Office
Responsible To: Front Office Manager / Deputy General Manager
Scope and General Purpose of Job:
Under the general guidance and direction of the Front Office Manager and within departmental standards manual, assists in overseeing and directing all aspects of Front Desk operations. To be fully conversant with all emergency and security procedures within the hotel, and take charge of any situation that may arise.
To maintain the highest standards of service and operational efficiency within all areas of responsibility.
To ensure there is a positive approach, which is actively pursued in respect of training and development of all departmental personnel.
· Check out guests efficiently and without undue delay.
· To ensure that all guest comments, including complaints, are dealt with in an effective and speedy manner and with tact and diplomacy in order to facilitate good guest relations and optimise guest satisfaction.
- Inform the Duty Manager of any guest queries, complaints or suggestions received during your shift
· Answer phone in an efficient and friendly manner, deal with enquiries,
or transfer calls to the correct extensions
- Respond to guest requests for wake-up calls and order morning newspapers
- Arrange taxi transportation for guests during their stay.
Arrange excursions, give advice on local walks in the area, and any other general requests the guest may have. Assist with onward travel arrangements by taxi, rail, bus or air, and make hotel reservations
- Check Guest accounts / Prepare bills / Receive payments from Guests
· Post charges to guest accounts when required
- Take room reservations by phone and email, send reservation confirmation to guests
- Take Restaurant and Bar reservations and input into online booking system
- Check and reply to emails enquiries received during shift
· Update Function folder and Handover Diary with upcoming function sheets. Check Function Sheets for relevant information for Reception staff and post charges to the Master account when required
- Communicate with other departments regarding group and VIP arrivals
· Prepare Housekeeping reports for next day arrivals
· Print Welcome Letters for Guest arrivals
· Check with the housekeeping department that rooms are ready for occupation
- Liaise with Porters to deliver luggage to the rooms / to valet park Guest cars
· Sort incoming Post / Register and frank outgoing post
· Check all Front Desk work areas to ensure cleanliness and tidiness. Reporting and following up any maintenance issues.
· Carry out end of shift banking / Balance float
· If required attend any hotel training courses and departmental meetings
· Prepare Handover to Receptionist on next shift or to Night Porter
· Front Desk staff may also be required to help in other areas of the hotel, such as housekeeping, during busy seasons or if short-staffed.
· To ensure that the highest level of service is provided to all guests and clients of the hotel, when being dealt with by Front Desk personnel, to maximise guest satisfaction and to lead, motivate and direct all Reception personnel when applicable.
· To ensure all guests receive a warm and courteous welcome at check in and to assist with the rooming of guests. Address guests by their name whenever possible.
Organise room moves when necessary
· To effectively monitor and review all department procedures, as laid down in each of the Standards of Performance manuals to maximise efficiency in accordance with the Front Office Manager
· To ensure that an effective structure of communication is maintained at all times to ensure that staff are fully informed of all relevant information pertaining to their role including reservations rates, new packages as well as handovers, memos and arranging and preparing FO staff to attend all the relevant meetings.
· To be fully conversant with all aspects of company procedures in order to employ and apply when required.
· To work closely with all the operating departments to maximise service opportunities and thereby increase revenues – this particularly pertains to the reservations department where good communication skills are essential. This also includes arranging all FO members to attend the meetings.
· To maintain a close liaison with Reservations and Private Dinning & Events to ensure all business is up to date and recorded accurately and all rates / volumes quoted by Reception staff are within the selling strategy.
· To ensure that all control procedures pertaining to the processing of revenue are adhered to at all times, and any discrepancies are reported to the Accounts department and the General Manager immediately.
· To participate in sales activities as and when required ensuring Reception personnel are kept informed of all promotions at Cliff House Hotel.
· To be fully conversant with all legislation in respect of hotel sales, payment of services, registration of guests, data protection and ensure they are complied with at all times.
· To connect and build rapport with guests at every possible opportunity, especially meeting and greeting VIPs and regular guests.
· To ensure the Reception filing is complete and accurate at all times ensuring any necessary records are kept and up to date.
· To ensure that companies owing the Cliff House Hotel for services rendered are given no longer than a 30 day arrears period to settle their account. Outstanding accounts should be efficiently and professional dealt with at all times and accounts should not exceed €5,000 on any one account.
· To maintain adequate stocks of stationery and advice of stationery re-orders in good time so that the operation runs smoothly.
· To prepare, deliver and record departmental induction to standard on the first day of any new recruit, and offer on the job instruction for new team members.
To be fully aware, competent in and follow at all times:
- Hotel fire procedures
- Hotel security procedures
- Hotel health & safety policy and procedures
- Hotel facilities and opportunities to promote these to customers
- Hotel and departmental operational standards and procedures
- Short and long term sales and marketing promotions
- Customer service standards
- Company and Hotel performance and conduct guidelines, policies and procedures
- To attend all fire, heath and safety, training as requested.
To ensure that all standards and legal requirements in respect of health, safety and contingency procedures are complied with at all times.
To work in a safe manner at all times, to ensure personal safety and the safety of colleagues and visitors to the hotel and report anything that may jeopardise safety to your Manager upon discovery including the actions of fellow colleagues.
To attend all training sessions and meetings as requested.
To maintain appropriate standards of conduct, dress, hygiene, uniforms, appearance and posture in accordance with the hotel’s standards.
To work within the team and help where required within the business.
To achieve and maintain the highest possible levels of customer service to both external (i.e. paying customers) and internal customers (i.e. fellow colleagues) at all times in accordance with Hotel policy.
To make suggestions to your Manager where possible which you feel will improve the operation, customer service and/or the success of your department and the hotel.
To assist fellow colleagues both within and outside your normal department where possible to ensure operational and customer service requirements are achieved at all times.
To report for duty on time and on the days rostered.
The Senior Receptionist should have:
- Strong Customer Focus
- Great Attention to Detail
- Skills in Problem Solving
- Organisation Skills
- Effective Time Management
- Ability to Motivate Others
- Ability to Delegate
- Excellent Communication & Interpersonal Skills